Whole Wheat Biscuits
Homemade biscuits are easier than you may think. Using white whole wheat flour gives these biscuits a better nutrition profile, yet still remains flaky and tender, with the help of kefir in place of traditional buttermilk.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp chilled butter cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup plain kefir
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir well. Add the butter pieces and mix into the flour using 2 knives, a pastry cutter or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the kefir and honey. Pour into the well of the flour mixture. Stir just until moist.
- Turn out dough on a clean, floured surface. Lightly knead the dough a few times to pull it together, then pat down into a circle using your hands until it is about ¾ of an inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter about 2 1/2 inches wide, cut out biscuits. Gather remaining dough, lightly knead a few times to pull together and lightly pat down into a circle until about ¾ of an inch thick and cut out biscuits. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Place dough rounds about an inch apart on lined sheet pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool on pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Calories: 107kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 3gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 92mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!