Yes, these are really the BEST Cheeseburger Sliders (and coincidentally a Krystal / White Castle burger copycat which we modified from this recipe). Plus, they are super easy to make and total crowd-pleasers, which makes them perfect for the Super Bowl this weekend. These slider-sized burgers are perfect for eating just one or two while you enjoy some of your other favorite foods (which we hope includes some vegetables or fruits – see some good suggestions below).
We admit, these aren’t necessarily super healthy, but making your own certainly has its advantages. We used 95% lean ground beef which definitely helps cut down on the fat content. And while the sweet Hawaiian rolls are so good with these, you could always use a whole wheat dinner roll or slider bun instead. You’ll notice that these are sodium bombs and that is largely due to the onion soup mix used in the mix. To cut down on the amount of sodium, you can make your own very easily with this recipe for dry onion soup mix.
There is a secret ingredient in these burgers, and that is peanut butter! It really adds a depth of flavor I would not have guessed. So make sure if you are feeding these to a crowd that everyone knows it contains a peanut product in case of allergies as they would probably not guess otherwise.
We received some free samples of Cabot Cheese, which we used for the burgers. Their Farmhouse Reserve and White Oak Cheddar are my favorites. I also love their flavored cheddars like the Chipotle, Pepper Jack and Habanero, which would be awesome for a super spicy kick on these Cheeseburger Sliders. Alas, Lesley wouldn’t let me do it as her family are spice wimps!
- 1.25 lb lean ground beef
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 12 Hawaiian sandwich rolls slicedhalf
- 3 oz sharp cheddar cheese sliced
- Condiments as preferred
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 10x15 sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, onion soup mix, peanut butter and milk.
- Put the meat mixture on the baking sheet and spread evenly into a thin layer. Sprinkle with the diced onions.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until meat is cooked through and measures 165 degrees F. Take the pan out of the oven and carefully drain off any accumulated juices.
- Top the meat with the cheese slices. Put back in the oven until the cheese melts, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and then arrange the roll tops on top of the meat in 4 rows of 3 across so that the meat is covered by the rolls. Put back in the oven for about 3 minutes to warm the roll tops.
- Remove the burgers from the oven and cut the burgers into squares around the roll tops.
- Place each burger on top of the roll bottom. Serve with preferred condiments.
- This is a great recipe to make for a crowd. It can easily be doubled to make 2 pans of sliders. You could also leave the cheese off the burgers and just have tasty hamburgers instead.
- Yes, these have a lot of sodium in them, mainly due to the onion soup mix. You could use half of a packet to cut it down or make your own onion soup mix using this recipe.
When you are planning for an event like a Super Bowl party, you want to have a balance of splurge foods but tasty, healthier options too. For more ideas, check out:
Healthy Super Bowl Snack Recipes by Anne Mauney
Super Bowl Party Tips & Recipes by Jessica Levinson
Plant-Powered Super Bowl Party Recipes by Sharon Palmer
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings with Blue Cheese Dressing by Kara Lydon
Cheesy Black-Eyed Pea Dip by Karman Meyer
Who are you rooting for?!
[bctt tweet=”Get the #SuperBowl party started with the ONLY Super Bowl worthy Cheeseburger Sliders”]