Sunflower Zucchini Pie
This recipe is another family favorite that comes together quickly, especially if using leftover cooked rice from another meal. It's perfect for breakfast for dinner or for brunch.
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 5 large eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (1/2 cup uncooked)
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese grated, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic. Cook until the zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the stovetop and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, rice, cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, milk, sunflower seeds, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cooked zucchini and mix well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie plate, and sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Cook until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Slice and serve.
Nutrition Nugget: You may notice this recipe has a higher amount of cholesterol than usual. New research shows cholesterol consumed in the diet does not directly affect blood cholesterol. It is theorized that following a diet low in saturated fat may be more beneficial for maintaining normal blood cholesterol levels than consuming a diet low in dietary cholesterol. Adapted from the Meal Makeover Moms.
Calories: 462kcalCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 22gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 501mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!