Spring Onion Casserole
A makeover of one of Ann's favorite childhood casserole recipes to incorporate mushrooms and tofu while lowering the fat and boosting the overall nutrition.
- 1/2 box whole grain thin spaghetti noodles
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 16 oz tomato sauce no salt added
- 14 oz soft tofu drained
- 1 pint light sour cream
- 6 spring onions sliced
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim mozzarella shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, cook the noodles in boiling water until they are al dente, or still a little firm but easy to bite.
- While the noodles are cooking, brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Once the beef is browned and no longer pink, add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce, and tomato sauce to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil then simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Combine tofu, sour cream, and green onions in a bowl and stir well, breaking tofu into small pieces.
- In the baking dish, begin layering by spreading half of the noodles in the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the tofu mixture, then half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers. Top with mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30-45 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Make Ahead: Assemble the casserole ahead of time and then store covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake and serve. This is also a great meal to prepare and take to a friend with baking instructions.
Calories: 385kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 29gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 498mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!