Slow Cooker Turkey, Lentil and White Bean Chili
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1.25 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 cup lentils rinsed and picked over
- 15 oz canned cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz can diced chili-ready tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, pepper, garlic and jalapeno. Sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the ground turkey breast and continue cooking until turkey is no longer pink, stirring well to crumble.
- Dump the meat mixture into a slow cooker. Add the lentils, beans, tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper the remaining spices and the bay leaves. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Add a little bit of water if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Once the chili is done cooking, remove the bay leaves and serve with any desired toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream (or nonfat plain Greek yogurt) or chopped onions.
Mix It Up: Use lean ground beef in place of the ground turkey breast if you prefer.
Calories: 33kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 32gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 688mgFiber: 8gSugar: 9g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!