Slow Cooker Taco Soup
This is one of Lesley's favorite slow cooker recipes and gets used every time company is in town. It has been adapted from Southern Living Slow Cooker Recipes.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 1.25-oz package reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 1-oz envelope Ranch-Style dressing mix (optional)
- 16 oz frozen corn
- 1 15-oz can no salt added black beans, undrained
- 2 14.5-oz cans chili-style diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 12- oz bottle beer
- 1/2 cup water
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet with the red onions over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to crumble the meat and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Put the meat mixture and remaining ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Serve with toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, reduced fat sour cream (or nonfat plain Greek yogurt) or diced avocado.
Chef's Note: Chicken broth may be substituted for the beer. Mix It Up: Use ground beef or chicken in place of the turkey if you prefer. Kid-Friendly Tip: For a milder flavor, use regular diced tomatoes in place of 1 or both of the chili-style diced tomatoes.
Calories: 313kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 22gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 764mgFiber: 7gSugar: 5g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!