Slow Cooker Rotisserie-Style Chicken
Making a rotisserie-style chicken in the slow cooker is so simple and a great way to have plenty of chicken for multiple meals, not to mention lower in sodium than the store-bought kind.
- 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika or smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Remove the neck and giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. Remove as much of the skin as you like. Kitchen shears are handy for helping remove the skin.
- Place the chicken in the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker, breast side down.
- Combine all of the spices, then rub all over the chicken and inside the cavity. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours in the slow cooker. The chicken will produce its own juices as it cooks, so do not add any liquid to the pan.
- Once the chicken is finished, the meat will be very tender and practically fall off the bone. Separate meat from the bones and serve.
- Any extra meat can be used in a variety of ways for other recipes, particularly in ones that call for shredded chicken.
- A fair amount of cooking liquid will accumulate in the slow cooker. I serve these juices over the meat and the rest I refrigerate and use like chicken broth.
- I also save the chicken bones and use to make my own chicken stock. If I’m not going to do it right away, I put in a bag in the freezer until I’m ready.
Calories: 195kcalCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 28gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 359mgFiber: 1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!