Slow Cooker Mushroom Spinach Lasagna
The slow cooker makes lasagna an easy dish to make any day of the week. This recipe is versatile so you could use a variety of different vegetables to suit your family tastes. Meat could also be added if your family prefers, but if you chop up the mushrooms small, your family may never notice it is missing.
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced, 1/2 medium onion
- 2 Tbsp garlic minced, about 12 cloves
- 8 oz package mushrooms sliced
- 6 oz fresh spinach leaves
- 1 jar low sodium marinara sauce
- 1 8-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese divided
- Spray inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook for 3 more minutes or until mushrooms are tender and spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Stir in marinara sauce.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, pepper and Italian seasoning in a bowl; set aside.
- Spread 3/4 cup sauce mixture over bottom of slow cooker. Layer 3 lasagna noodles over sauce mixture, breaking noodles to fit. Top with ½ of ricotta cheese mixture, 3/4 cup sauce mixture, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture and 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Put the last 3 lasagna noodles on top, breaking to fit. Spoon remaining sauce mixture over noodles, ensuring all of the noodles are covered.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours or until noodles are tender. Remove lid and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Re-cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Chef’s Note: Check on your lasagna periodically during the cooking period as some slow cookers may cook faster than others. If you are using a slow cooker larger than 4 quarts, your cooking time will be less. Nutrition Nugget: Have you ever checked to see how much salt your favorite jarred marinara sauce has? Check and you will be surprised. Look for low-sodium spaghetti sauces at your local supermarket.
Calories: 352kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 22gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 860mgFiber: 4gSugar: 10g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!