Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
This gumbo is an easy dump and go recipe for busy weeknights.
- slow cooker
- 1 package chicken sausage (e.g., Aidell's) sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- 1 package frozen cut okra thawed
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 lb shrimp shelled and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put everything except the shrimp in the slow cooker. Turn on low for about 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before the gumbo is done, stir in the shrimp and allow to cook through, Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve over rice, if desired.
Chef's Note: If you want a thicker gumbo, you could make a roux to begin, then sauté the onion, bell pepper and okra for about 10 minutes before putting in the slow cooker. Alternatively, add some corn starch towards the end of the cooking period.
Calories: 382kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 44gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 225mgSodium: 824mgFiber: 5gSugar: 9g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!