Slow Cooker Chicken Ramen Noodle Soup
Ramen noodles are a staple and easy to give a big nutrition boost when cooked in the slow cooker with onions, mushrooms, chicken and spinach in an easy and flavorful broth that is much healthier than following package instructions. This recipe is easily adaptable to use a different protein source or veggies you may have on hand.
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 6 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp white miso
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Mirin
- 3/4 lb chicken thighs, skinless
- As Needed ground black pepper
- 2 3-oz package of ramen noodles, discard flavoring packages
- 3 oz baby spinach, about 3 cups
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add shiitakes and sauté until the mushrooms begin to soften. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth, miso, soy sauce, and mirin into slow cooker. Add chicken to slow cooker. Season with pepper. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Use 2 forks to shred chicken in the slow cooker. Stir in noodles, spinach, and sesame oil. Cover and cook on high until noodles are tender, about 3 to 8 minutes and spinach has wilted.
- Serve immediately with scallions and sesame seeds.
Chef's Note: Toasting the sesame seeds adds more flavor. To toast the sesame seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Shake the skillet occasionally to prevent burning and toast until they are lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Mix it Up: Use pork instead of chicken. For a vegetarian option, reduce the cooking time in half and use tofu and vegetable stock instead.
Calories: 431kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 35gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 568mgPotassium: 896mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!