Shrimp & Zucchini Pasta
Shrimp & Zucchini Pasta is a fast and easy recipe that shakes up the usual pasta night at home.
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper divided
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced (about 6 cloves)
- 2 medium zucchinis cubed
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Shaved or grated Parmesan cheese, to taste optional
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Season shrimp with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and add to the skillet. Sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan, keeping at medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sautéing for about 3 minutes or until onions turn translucent. Add the zucchini, bell pepper, Italian seasoning and the remaining salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and wine to the pan, stirring well. Bring to a simmer and turn heat to low to keep at a simmer. Simmer for several minutes and add shrimp back to pan to heat through. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve shrimp and vegetable mixture over pasta with shaved parmesan and if desired, fresh herbs such as basil (optional).
Nutrition Nugget: We like to recommend everything whole grain due to the added fiber in whole grain products. However, if your family does not eat whole grain pasta yet, you could try serving ¾ white spaghetti and ¼ whole wheat spaghetti. Then, gradually change the ratio so that eventually, you are serving all whole wheat pasta.
Calories: 411kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 26gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 334mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!