Roasted Pumpkin, Squash and Apple Soup
This soup recipe takes just like fall should with the flavors of pumpkin, squash and apples.
- 1 pie pumpkin halved, seeds and strings removed
- 1 butternut squash halved, seeds and strings removed
- 3 large golden delicious apples cored and chopped
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clover
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cut sides of pumpkin and squash down on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Cover the pumpkin with aluminum foil. Put in the oven and roast until fork tender, about one hour.
- Remove pumpkin and squash from the oven and allow to cool. Arrange in a single layer the apples and onions on baking sheets. Drizzle the onion with olive oil. Put apples and onion in the oven to roast while the pumpkin and squash cool. Roast apples and onions until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Once pumpkin and squash are cool enough to handle, remove the flesh from the skins and place the flesh in a stockpot. Add the apples and onions once they are roasted. Pour in the chicken broth and milk. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture. If you do not have an immersion blender, this can be done in batches with a blender or food processor.
- Stir in the spices and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add more liquid if needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds or toasted walnuts. A dollop of reduced fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt is optional as well. Enjoy!
Make Ahead: Roast the squash, onion and apples a day in advance before assembling the soup to speed up preparation.
Calories: 139kcalCarbohydrates: 28gProtein: 5gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 311mgFiber: 4gSugar: 17gVitamin A: -4IU
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!