- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 24-oz jar lower sodium marinara sauce
- 12 whole wheat slider rolls or dinner rolls
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut into 4 wedges each
- Combine meat with the carrots, bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and milk. Mix together well and then shape into heaping tablespoon-sized balls.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for two minutes. Stir in the marinara sauce, then add the meatballs to the pan. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Split rolls in half and put a wedge of cheese on each half of each roll. Spoon a meatball with sauce on the bottom part of the roll and top with the other piece. Serve.
Nutrition Nugget: Adding shredded carrots to the meatballs is a great way to sneak in some veggies. They add a nice crunch and are rich with vitamins and minerals.
Calories: 417kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 28gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 723mgFiber: 4gSugar: 9g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!