Lentil Sloppy Joes
Using lentils in place of beef in sloppy joes is a great way to get more plant-based nutrition in your diet and you won't even notice the difference.
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced (about 2 cloves)
- 1 cup lentils rinsed and picked over
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce no-salt added
- 1/4 cup tomato paste no-salt added
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 4 hamburger buns whole wheat
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a stockpot. Add the onion and green pepper. Sauté about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the lentils and water. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add chili powder, oregano, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, maple syrup and mustard and heat through. Turn the heat off, cover and let sit for about 10 minutes before scooping on a bun and serving.https://www.bobsredmill.com/
- If you have leftover tomato paste, scoop into 1 tablespoon heaps on wax paper and put in freezer. Once frozen, remove from paper and put in a freezer safe bag and store in freezer for whenever you need a small amount.
- This is an easy recipe to make in two batches and freeze for use on those super busy nights.
Calories: 289kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 13gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 440mgFiber: 13gSugar: 9g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!