Honey Whole Wheat Sandwich Buns
Making your own sandwich buns is easier than you might think, especially if you have a bread machine.
- Bread machine
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 large egg white
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Place all ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed above or according to manufacturer instructions. Set the machine to the Dough cycle.
- Once dough cycle is finished, remove dough from machine and place on a clean counter, dusted with flour. Roll out dough into a 12 inch long rope. Using a serrated knife, cut the dough into 8 pieces for sandwich buns. You could also cut into 12 pieces for hot dog buns or for slider-sized buns.
- Roll each piece into a ball for sandwich buns or into a 6 inch roll for hot dog buns. Place on a greased baking sheet and flatten. If desired, beat egg white until it turns white and frothy. Brush egg white on each bun and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover buns and allow to rise for 10-15 minutes in a warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in size.
- Bake buns in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack and then slice horizontally. Enjoy with sandwiches, your favorite burger or uncured nitrate/nitrite-free hot dogs!
Calories: 296kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 9gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 230mgFiber: 7gSugar: 9g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!