Happy Hummingbird Muffins
Hummingbird cake (one of Ann's favorites) is a traditional Southern dessert and it has been remade into healthy muffins in this recipe.
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup light brown sugar unpacked
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 3/4 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin pan or line with cupcake liners.
- Add flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Put brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, canola oil and applesauce in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until well-blended. Stir in banana and pineapple.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in walnuts.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Bake until starting to brown and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Let muffins cool in pan for a few minutes then carefully remove and cool on a wire rack.
Calories: 172kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 3gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 156mgFiber: 3gSugar: 11g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!