Garden Lentil Bolognese
Lentils take the place of meat in this easy vegetarian version of bolognese.
- 8 oz angel hair pasta whole wheat preferred
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion quartered
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic minced (about 3 cloves)
- 1 medium red bell pepper quartered
- 1 medium zucchini cut into large chunks
- 1 medium yellow squash cut into large chunks
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed and picked through
- 1 15-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 8 oz water
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with olive oil. Meanwhile, place the onions and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Sauté the onions and garlic in the pan until soft, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion and garlic are cooking, put the bell pepper, zucchini and squash in the food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add to the pan with the onions and garlic. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add the lentils, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Using the tomato can, add a half can of water (about 8 ounces). Stir together. Add the Italian seasoning and the next 3 through the crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and allow to simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add more water as needed to keep the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over angel hair pasta with freshly grated parmesan if desired.
- If you cannot find red lentils in your store, then use any color lentils in it’s place.
- Don’t let the remaining tomato paste from a can go to waste! Scoop out 1 tablespoon at a time and place on wax paper. Freeze in the freezer. Once frozen, put them in a resealable bag and back in the freezer to use when needed.
Calories: 290kcalCarbohydrates: 52gProtein: 18gFat: 3gSodium: 343mgFiber: 13gSugar: 11g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!