Creamy Pumpkin Rotini Pasta
This easy pasta dish tastes just like fall and can be quickly made in the slow cooker.
- slow cooker
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 small white onion grated
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tsp garlic minced (about 4 cloves)
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz whole wheat rotini pasta
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, stir together the pumpkin, onion, broth, cheese, garlic, sage, salt and pepper. It will be fairly thick.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Once it is finished cooking, stir the cream into the sauce.
- Cook the rotini pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Toss the hot pasta with the sauce and serve with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
Chef's Note: You can make this in a larger slow cooker if you do not have a small one. The cooking time will be less, however. Or you could put the sauce ingredients inside an oven safe dish that fits inside your slow cooker, such as pyrex, and cook it within that dish inside the slow cooker for the same amount of time. Alternatively, double the sauce and freeze the other half for a quick meal another time. Nutrition Nuggets:
- Pumpkin is a good source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A has many beneficial qualities such as helping to keep our skin, eyes, bones and teeth healthy.
- Pumpkin is technically a fruit, because it contains seeds, but is commonly referred to as a vegetable. Pumpkin can be prepared in many different ways including roasting, baking, steaming and boiling. And of course pumpkin seeds are also healthy and tasty too!
Calories: 290kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 11gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 250mgFiber: 8gSugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!