Creamy Creamless Asparagus Soup
This is a tasty dairy-free soup that doesn't lack for creamy flavor thanks to the addition of avocado.
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus trimmed, chopped, tips reserved
- 1 medium red potato peeled and chopped
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 avocado pitted, flesh removed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1/2 Tbsp fresh)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, loosely packed chopped
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus pieces (except for the tips), potato and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the asparagus and potato are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, blanch the asparagus tips and then plunge in cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Add the avocado to the soup and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender.
- Stir in the lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper. Serve in bowls and garnish with the chopped basil and asparagus tips.
Calories: 122kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 7gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 521mgFiber: 5gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!