Cranberry and Kefir Quinoa Salad
This quinoa salad with toasted pistachios and cranberries really comes to life with a kefir-based dressing.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios shelled
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup reduced-fat feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil minced (or 1 Tbsp dried basil)
- 1/2 cup plain kefir
- 4 tsp honey
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Rinse the quinoa in running water to remove any residue. In a pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in the quinoa, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Put the quinoa in a bowl and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven or your toaster to 400°F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Put the pistachios on the pan and toast until light brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Roughly chop.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, stir in the pistachios, cranberries, feta cheese and minced basil.
- To make the dressing, put the honey in a small microwave safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the kefir until well combined then whisk in the balsamic vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss well.
Mix It Up: Want to make this your main dish? Try adding chicken, tofu or steak! Make Ahead: Cook the quinoa a day or two in advance and keep in the refrigerator until ready to make the salad. Toast the pistachios in advance. Simplify It: Skip toasting the pistachios for faster preparation. Nutrition Nugget: Quinoa is a nutritious, gluten-free whole grain substitute for rice. It is truly a powerhouse food providing us with almost 13 grams of protein in just one serving of this salad. Other protein sources in this dish are the pistachios and the cheese.
Calories: 302kcalCarbohydrates: 42gProtein: 13gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 378mgFiber: 5gSugar: 18g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!