Chocolate Chip Whole Grain Waffles
These waffles are a fun treat for breakfast or even dinner. Serve with sliced fresh fruit like bananas or strawberries. Adapted from a recipe found in the Time for Kids: Kids in the Kitchen Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat a waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, ground flaxseed, and oats.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, butter, mashed banana, vanilla, and egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon ½ cup of the batter onto the hot waffle iron and close. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying the waffle iron with cooking spray between waffles.
- Serve with toppings of choice (fresh fruit, chopped nuts, peanut butter, syrup, etc.)
- If your family isn’t quite used to whole grain waffles, replace half of the white whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour.
- For a lighter texture, separate the egg. Add the yolk to the other wet ingredients and then beat the egg white until soft peaks form then fold into the batter before adding the chocolate chips.
Calories: 270kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 10gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 270mgFiber: 4gSugar: 17g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!