Chicken Sausage and Kale Ravioli Soup
This soup comes together quickly by using some convenience items from the grocery store.
- 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb chicken sausage sliced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup shoestring carrots (or baby carrots) coarsely chopped
- 8 oz trinity mix (fresh or frozen diced onions, bell peppers, and celery)
- 1 24-oz jar pasta sauce preferably lower in sodium
- 1 32-oz carton unsalted chicken broth
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 cups baby kale
- 2 9-oz package mini cheese ravioli fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- shredded parmesan optional
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Brown the sausage for 5 to 7 minutes or until it is cooked through. Add the garlic, carrots and trinity mix to stockpot and cook for about 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in pasta sauce, broth, pesto, and kale and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir ravioli into soup and cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in ricotta.
- Serve soup and top with shredded parmesan or additional ricotta cheese.
Make Ahead: This soup can be made through step 2 several days before serving. When ready to serve, heat soup and add the ravioli and proceed with the rest of the directions. Chef’s Tips:
- Trinity mix can be found in the produce section with the pre-prepped fruits or vegetables or in the freezer section of your supermarket.
- This recipe may make more soup than you would need on one night so separate the leftovers into freezer baggies filling each with one cup of soup for easy defrosting on busy nights or when you need a quick lunch.
Calories: 295kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 15gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 730mgFiber: 3gSugar: 8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!