Chicken Sausage and Bean Rotini Pasta
Shake up pasta night by combining cannellini beans and chicken sausage with rotini pasta in a light tomato sauce.
- 12 oz whole grain rotini pasta
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz chicken sausage sliced, preferably Italian flavored
- 1 16-oz can reduced-sodium cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 4 tsp garlic minced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 6 cups Swiss chard washed and stems removed
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Reserve ½ cup pasta water before draining.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage to the pan and cook until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the beans, broth, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice to the pan. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Add the pasta, reserved pasta water, chard, basil, and pepper to the pan. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until chard is slightly wilted. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Mix It Up: You could use turkey sausage in place of the chicken sausage and spinach in place of the chard if you prefer.
Calories: 431kcalCarbohydrates: 59gProtein: 24gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 756mgFiber: 10gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!