Chicken Pesto Panini
Chicken Pesto Panini is the perfect sandwich when you want to kick the flavor up a notch and celebrate the bright flavors of summer with fresh basil, pesto, mozzarella, sun-ripened tomatoes and chicken.
- 4 chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough or other large loaf bread
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 jarred roasted red pepper pieces sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 4 Tbsp pesto see °below for link to our homemade pesto
- Drizzle chicken breast with 1/2 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Put in a baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Preheat Panini press to high or heat a pan over medium high heat.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil then turn over.
- To assemble sandwiches, place a chicken breast on top of the bread. Then top with a slice of mozzarella cheese, some roasted red pepper slices and ¼ cup spinach. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on the other slice of bread and place on top with the olive oil side up. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Place sandwich in Panini press and cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
My Menu Pal's Oh So Perfect Pesto Sauce Chef’s Notes:
- If you don’t have a Panini press, you can use a pan on the stove top and press down the sandwich with a smaller pan on top. Or assemble the sandwich and toast open-faced in a toaster until the cheese is melted.
- If time allows, roast your own red peppers by slicing the pepper into strips. Drizzle with a little bit of extra-virgin olive oil. Roast peppers at 400F for 15 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown.
- If basil is in season, try using basil instead of spinach in the sandwiches for a boost of flavor.
Calories: 376kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 35gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 740mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!