Chard and Cheddar Quiche
This is a creamy quiche thanks to using kefir as a secret ingredient.
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss chard leaves stems removed, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves chopped (or ½ tsp dried thyme)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper divided
- 1 cup plain kefir
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ cup shredded Cabot Seriously Sharp Aged Cheddar Cheese divided
- 1 premade 9” piecrust or make your own, use link in notes below
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped chard, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the skillet. Stir and cook until the chard has wilted, about 2 minutes. Put the chard mixture in a colander in the sink and let cool for 5 minutes, pressing to drain any excess moisture from the greens.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the kefir, eggs, and remaining pepper. Stir in ½ cup of the cheese.
- Spread the chard mixture in an even layer in the bottom of the unbaked piecrust. Pour the egg mixture over the chard mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheese around the top.
- Bake the quiche for 30 minutes or until the quiche is set and lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Chef's Note: Making your own pie crust is actually pretty easy and quick. Try this recipe for an alternative to butter-laden crusts.
Calories: 297kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 13gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 359mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!