Cauliflower & Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is given a more "adult" profile with creamy cauliflower and jalapeno for spicy kick.
- 1 12-oz box whole grain rotini pasta
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into bite sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced (1 clove)
- 8 ounces Neufchatel cheese (reduced fat cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella
- 1 cup milk
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, prepare pasta according to package directions. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the cauliflower to the pot. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot used for the pasta, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the jalapeno and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and a cup of milk. Stir continuously until all of the cheeses melt together. Add more milk, a tablespoon at a time if needed to make mixture creamier.
- Toss in the pasta and cauliflower and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide among 6 bowls and top with additional Parmesan and jalapeno slices, if desired.
Adapted from the No Nonsense Nutritionist
Calories: 327kcalCarbohydrates: 41gProtein: 16gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 286mgFiber: 6gSugar: 6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!