Brown Rice and Veggies
Liven up brown or white rice by adding some frozen vegetables, seasonings and broth.
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 6 cloves)
- 1 cup water
- 1 32-oz carton chicken broth, unsalted
- 1 12-oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup green onions thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add rice, and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in water, broth, vegetables and salt. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat. Cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and top with green onions before serving.
- If you are really short on time, you could use a fast cooking brown rice, steam in the bag vegetables and mix them together.
- If this recipe makes more than your family can eat, freeze it. To defrost, put the rice in a bowl, add a splash of water, and defrost in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
Calories: 136kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 3gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 23mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 7IU
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!