Bison and Kale Chili
- 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb ground bison
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 28-oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz can no salt added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups kale leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and bison. Stir frequently to break the bison into smaller pieces. Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the celery, carrots, onion, chili powder, and cumin. Stir well. Cook mixture until the onions begin to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, and water. Stir well to combine. Cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Stir in the kale leaves and season with salt and pepper. Cook just until the kale leaves wilt then serve.
Make Ahead: Chop the celery, carrots and onions beforehand. Keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to use. Simplify It: Buy the celery, carrots and onions already chopped in the produce section or in the frozen food section. Mix It Up: Use lean ground beef or turkey in place of the bison. Chef’s Note: If you have leftover tomato paste, scoop it onto a piece of wax paper in 1 tablespoon heaps. Put in freezer. Once frozen, put in a resealable bag to use in recipes whenever you need tomato paste.
Calories: 244kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 22gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 367mgFiber: 10gSugar: 10g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!