Baked Apple Caramel Donuts
We created this Baked Apple Caramel Donuts recipe on behalf of Autumn Glory Apples, which are naturally sweet with flavor notes of caramel and cinnamon. This makes an even better donut, allowing us to use less sugar and bring out the caramel and cinnamon flavors even more in a tasty donut that everyone will love.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Autumn Glory apple grated
- Caramel sauce optional
- powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Stir in the grated apple.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fill a quart size resealable bag with half of the dough. Cut off the tip of one of the bottom corners of the bag and pipe the dough into the donut pan, until about 2/3 full. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Put pan in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until donuts are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let donuts cool in pan for 1 – 2 minutes. Then remove donuts from pan and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over donuts and dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Chef's Note: Make your own caramel sauce in 5 minutes! Nutrition information does not include the optional ingredients of caramel sauce and powdered sugar.